To help interested parties and students to get started in the field of NMR, we have compiled a curated list of the most important books, software packages and weblinks.
Please let us know of any new items that you think should be added to the list.
Books on NMR spectroscopy
- Understanding NMR Spectroscopy by James Keeler
- Spin Dynamics: Basics of Nuclear Magnetic Resonance by Malcolm H. Levitt
- Principles of Nuclear Magnetic Resonance in One and Two Dimensions by Richard R. Ernst, Geoffrey Bodenhausen, Alexander Wokaun
- Introduction to Solid-State NMR Spectroscopy by Melinda J. Duer
- NMR Spectroscopy: Basic Principles, Concepts and Applications in Chemistry by Harald Günther
- 200 and More NMR Experiments by Stefan Berger
- Basic One- and Two-Dimensional NMR Spectroscopy by Horst Friebolin
- Principles of Nuclear Magnetism by A. Abragam
- Principles of High Resolution NMR in Solids by M. Mehring
- Principles of Magnetic Resonance by Charles P. Slichter
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance by Peter Hore
- NMR: THE TOOLKIT (How Pulse Sequences Work) by Peter Hore, Jonathan Jones, and Stephen Wimperis
- Solid-State NMR: Basic Principles & Practice by D.C. Apperley, R.K. Harris & P. Hodgkinson
- NMR in Medicine and Biology: Structure Determination, Tomography, In Vivo Spectroscopy by Karl H. Hausser, Hans R. Kalbitzer
- Applications of NMR Spectroscopy by Atta-ur-Rahman, M. Iqbal Choudhary
- Essentials of Dynamic Nuclear Polarization by Tom Wenckebach
- NMR of paramagnetic molecules by Ivano Bertini, Claudio Luchinat, Giacomo Parigi and Enrico Ravera
- Essential Mathematics for NMR and MRI Spectroscopists by Keith C Brown
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy: An Introduction to Principles, Applications, and Experimental Methods by Joseph B. Lambert, Eugene P. Mazzola and Clark D. Ridge
Books on MRI
- Handbook of MRI Pulse Sequences by Matt A. Bernstein, Kevin F. King, Xiaohong Joe Zhou
- MRI: The Basics by Ray Hashman Hashemi, William G. Bradley Jr., Christopher J. Lisanti
- Principles of Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Microscopy by Paul T. Callaghan
Books on EPR spectroscopy
- Principles and Applications of ESR Spectroscopy by Anders Lund, Masaru Shiotani, Shigetaka Shimada
- Advanced ESR Methods in Polymer Research by Shulamith Schlick
- Computational and Instrumental Methods in EPR (BiologicEPR: Instrumental Methods (Biological Magnetic Resonance) by Chris Bender, Lawrence Berliner
- Electron Spin Resonance Spectroscopy for Organic Radicals by Fabian Gerson, Walter Huber
- Electron Spin Resonance: Analysis and Interpretation by Philip Rieger
- Electron Paramagnetic Resonance: A Practitioners Toolkit by Marina Brustolon (Editor), Elio Giamello (Editor)
- EPR: Instrumental Methods (Biological Magnetic Resonance) by Chris Bender (Editor), Lawrence Berliner (Editor)
- Electron Paramagnetic Resonance: Elementary Theory and Practical Applications by John A. Weil, James R. Bolton
- Principles of Pulse Electron Paramagnetic Resonance by A. Schweiger, G. Jeschke
- Distance Measurements in Biological Systems by EPR by Lawrence J. Berliner, Sandra S. Eaton, Gareth R. Eaton
- ESR Spectroscopy in Membrane Biophysics by Marcus A. Hemminga, Lawrence Berliner
- High Resolution EPR: Applications to Metalloenzymes and Metals in Medicine by Graeme Hanson, Lawrence Berliner
- Advanced EPR: Applications in Biology and Biochemistry by A.J. Hoff
- Multifrequency Electron Paramagnetic Resonance: Theory and Applications by Sushil K. Misra
- Handbook of Multifrequency Electron Paramagnetic Resonance: Data and Techniques by Sushil K. Misra
- Electron Spin Echo Envelope Modulation (ESEEM) Spectroscopy by Sergei A. Dikanov, Yuri Tsvetkov
- Quantitative EPR by Gareth R. Eaton, Sandra S. Eaton, David P. Barr, Ralph T. Weber
- Spin Labeling: The Next Millennium by Lawrence Berliner
- Electron Spin Resonance in Food Science by Ashutosh Shukla (Editor)
- EMR/ESR/EPR Spectroscopy for Characterization of Nanomaterials by Ashutosh Kumar Shukla (Editor)
Books on protein NMR
- Protein NMR Spectroscopy: Principles and Practice, 2nd edition by Arthur G. Palmer III, Wayne J. Fairbrother, John Cavanagh, Nicholas J. Skelton, Mark Rance
- Fundamentals of Protein NMR Spectroscopy by Gordon S. Rule, T. Kevin Hitchens
- NMR of Proteins and Nucleic Acids by Kurt Wüthrich
- Protein NMR Spectroscopy: Principal Techniques and Applications by Gordon Roberts (Editor), Lu-Yun Lian (Editor)
- Protein NMR Spectroscopy: Principles and Practice by John Cavanagh, Wayne J. Fairbrother, Arthur G. Palmer III, Nicholas J. Skelton
- Advances in Biological Solid-State NMR: Proteins and Membrane-Active Peptides (New Developments in NMR) by Frances Separovic (Editor), Akira Naito (Editor)
- Protein NMR Techniques (Methods in Molecular Biology) by A. Kristina Downing (Editor)
- NMR of Proteins and Small Biomolecules (Topics in Current Chemistry) by Guang Zhu (Editor)
- Protein NMR Techniques (Methods in Molecular Biology) by Alexander Shekhtman (Editor), David S. Burz (Editor)
- Intrinsically Disordered Proteins studied by NMR Spectroscopy by Isabella C. Felli, Roberta Pierattelli (Eds.)
Free online books
Free, online BOOKS about NMR, ESR and NQR
- A Basic Guide to NMR by James N.Shoolery.
- The Basics of NMR by Joseph P.Hornak.
- NMR Logging: Principles and Applications by G.R.Coates, L.Xiao, and M.G.Prammer.
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance: applications to organic chemistry by Roberts J.D. (W.A.Benjamin Inc., New York 1959).
- Two Dimensional NMR-Spectroscopy: Applications for Chemists and Biochemists, edited by Croasmun W.R. and Carlson R.M.K., on Google books. Printed version: Wiley-VCH Publishers 1994. ISBN 978-0471185932.
Free, online BOOKS about MRI
- The Basics of MRI by Joseph P.Hornak.
Other free, online material related to Magnetic Resonance
List of NMR software:
List of EPR software:
DeerAnalysis - A program for extracting distance distributions from dead-time free pulsed electron electron double resonance (DEER, PELDOR) data with Matlab.
MMM - An open-source program for visualization, inspection, and improvement of models of proteins and protein assemblies based on restraints from multiple experimental techniques.
BlochSolver - Educational program for visualization of magnetization vector trajectories.
Virtual EPR - A basic CW EPR spectrometer simulation with only one DPPH-like sample.
EasySpin - Simulating EPR spectra with Matlab (Windows, Linux, Mac).
SpecMan - Spectrometer control software for pulse EPR experiments.
List of software which can perform NMR DFT calculations:
CASTEP - uses density functional theory with a plane wave basis set to calculate the electronic properties of crystalline solids, surfaces, molecules, liquids and amorphous materials from first principles
ADF - Heavy elements and transition metals are accurately modeled with ADF's reliable relativistic ZORA approach and all-electron basis sets for the whole periodic table (H-Uuo)
Quantum ESPRESSO - an integrated suite of Open-Source computer codes for electronic-structure calculations and materials modeling at the nanoscale. It is based on density-functional theory, plane waves, and pseudopotentials.
Gaussian - for electronic structure modeling